Skip to main content

A PM's day

What are the Program Managers @ Microsoft up to? Sometimes I ask that question myself, what did I actually do today?

Following a colleague’s advice, I decided to log one day of my Program Management life; I’ve omitted many ‘must do’ activities such as having breakfast, lunch, etc :)

6:30am Conf. call with India Developers
7:30am Read news/posts on the CRM space
8:00am Email
9:00am Feature related meeting
10:00am Bug triage/Project management
11:00am Feature design
1:00pm Bug triage/Project management
1:30pm Email
2:00pm Bug triage/Project management
3:00pm Technical training
4:00pm Community/newsgroups
5:00pm Bug triage/Project management
6:00pm Feature design
7:00pm Email
8:00pm news/community/newsgroups

Fun?...a bit I won’t lie; I like my job for the most part :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saving bucks by keeping your heater warm

When I first heard the suggestion of putting a blanket around my heater I thought: what??!!! After painfully findind that indeed our apartment water heater is an electric one (I know, I should have noticed it before duhh! ) and receiving 100+ dollars bills each month for electricity I decided to dig into the blanket suggestion. It turns out that there are special blankets (jackets) for water heaters that make them be more efficient and reduce the consumption of electricity (supposedly). So my wife and I decided to purchase one in home depot... hopefully our electricity bill will get reduced a bit.

Giving lessons using a digital whiteboard

This simple tutorial will show you how to use and share a digital whiteboard to give remote lessons. A word of advice upfront: be patient . This is a simple process and you can get going very quick, depending on your approach and existing hardware, but it may also take time. Think about this as an investment to help you deliver more effective remote learning; so set aside a couple of hours to learn, try, relearn and try again :)   Step 1. Install or access a whiteboard app If you Google "whiteboard application" you will get lots of alternatives. Pick the one that best suites your needs. For this tutorial I picked Microsoft Whiteboard . Step 2. Learn how to use a whiteboard app Launch the whiteboard app and familiarize yourself with its tools. You will see ways to draw, insert images, etc.  Click around and see what each tool does. Spend as much time as you need to feel comfortable. Think about this tool similar to how you think about Word and Excel, you need to learn the ...

IPhone

Ok, I give up. It is too much the temptation to write something about a new gadget everybody is talking about. The thing is cool, no doubt about that. I've been eagerly looking for critics about its flaws but to be fair...they seem minimal. Apple did it again and the whole computing/telecommunication industry will certainly benefit from the IPhone; I've been waiting for a similar device for years and Apple seems to be giving the final push to a sector that have been dragging its feet for years (at least on the user interface aspects). No, I don't think I will get an IPhone. I will wait from the competitors response, one that includes "real" impact applications such as a browser that supports flash and silverlight, a decent document reader (pdf and xps), office and of course, exchange. IPhone 2.0.... maybe? Will Microsoft come with a Zune Phone?...mmm highly unlikely. Will Motorola, Nokia and the Blackberry makers hit Apple back with a similar product? You bet. All...